Friday, April 3, 2009

Like sand through the hour glass, these are the days of our lives....

This week has been STRESSFUL!!!!! Before I start to try to explain what has been happening I will explain what surplus and redundent mean for those of you not in the teaching world. If a teacher is declared redundent it basically means that they are laid off. Surplus means that there are jobs within the board but just not at the school you are currently working at. It is a numbers game.
My school board hasn't declared a teacher redundent in over 10 years. This year they declared 25 teachers redundent. Once a teacher gets past their 2nd or 3rd year of teaching they are usually safe from being declared surplus....not this year. 2.5 teachers from my school have been declared surplus. I am one of those, after 9 years of teaching:( If you think you are confused now just wait....I have been working half time for the past couple of years but I still have a full time job. I put half of my job on a leave of absence...this is the half they declared surplus.
Thankfully, because of my half time leave of absence they are withdrawing my surplus status. It took a lot of conversations with my union and my board office to get this sorted out but it's now done. We have been stressed and worried all week because the schools that are taking surplus teachers are a 35 minute drive from my house. We realistically would of had to move....there is no way that I could get three kids up, ready and out the door to school on my own...Jason leaves really early for work as he has an early start.
Now to add more stress to this situation, Riley has been approved to come to my school (the school I no longer worked at) on a boundary exemption. We didn't know what we were going to do. It's all over now and everything is back to normal....thank goodness.
If you are crazy enough to still be reading this there is more. Through all this, different opportunities have presented themselves, one involving a big move across the country. The private school that our friends children go to in Calgary are hiring a high school english teacher and a primary teacher. Jason and I have always dreamed of being able to send our kids to a private school, 23 thousand dollars a year times three children is just not in our budget. This school pays a full salary plus you can send your children there for 25% of the tuition. This is very appealing to us and it is something to think about.
For now the dust here has settled. I am thrilled with Riley's boundary exemption and can not believe I am registering my baby for kindergarten.

1 comment:

Kara said...

OMG! I thought you were kidding about thinking of moving to Calgary!! It does sound like a great opportunity, but it's so far away (sniff!). Of course we would come and visit you, but we would rather you stayed here!! lol