Wednesday, July 30, 2008

If I were a single parent.....

Each day, each hour, each moment of being on my own with the kids has added to the respect I have for my mother. She was on her own with my brother and I when I was 2 and he was 4. My dad wasn't in the picture much at all....she didn't get weekends off. I don't know how she did it...it's a lot of work...hard work. My brother and I had every opportunity that other's had with both parents, she sacrificed anything and everything for us, we never went without. I have 5 more days to go before Jason comes home and I can not wait. We all miss him terribly. Riley asks every night if daddy can sleep with her when he gets home in the night. It breaks my heart to tell her we have 5 more sleeps.

While he has been away I have been thinking of things that would be different in my life if this was reality......THANK GOODNESS IT"S NOT!!!!! Here is my little list...so far.
1. I would consume a lot more wine - takes the edge off:)
2. I would drink a lot more coffee - for that extra boost
3. Mixing wine and coffee...might not be a bad idea
4. I would live in a bungalow
5. I would not have a dog - poor neglected Newman, he misses Jason too
6. Our cleaning lady Nicole would come on a weekly basis, not bi-weekly
7. I would have to learn to cook.
8. I would by a bigger washer and dryer....less loads of laundry.
9. My kids would watch more than their 20 minutes of T.V. we allow them to watch.
10. I might actually have to ask for help....I am not good at this now, in fact I rarely do it.

I am sure as the week goes on I will be able to add to my list...I can't wait until Monday!!!!!

1 comment:

P'nC said...

Stay strong! It is so hard isn't it? The only thing I recommend is forgetting about everything else that "needs" to get done and spend your time with the kids and have fun. The rest can get taken care of later when the kids are in bed, or when Jason gets home.

I always have such a hard time maintaining my schedule when Chris is away too...I stay up too late, don't make proper dinners for myself (just make sure the kids are taken care of), etc.

I also have much, much adoration for your mom and every other single parent out there. We are very lucky to have loving and involved husbands!

We're counting down with you!
P