Saturday, August 23, 2008

More drama

We are not big fans of drama in our lives....but...it always seems to find us. We headed to Toronto on Friday night for Jason's last weekend coaching the Provincial Team for the beach season. We are staying at the Holiday Inn Yorkdale. Jason headed out Friday evening for his first coaching session. The kids and I went for some dinner, to play tennis, to play in the kids club and for a little swim. It was a very nice and uneventful evening...until...bedtime. I got the kids all ready for bed, their bedrails on, teeth brushed and I asked Simon to pick 3 books for his bedtime stories. I headed to the bathroom while he picked books...then I heard it....the scream. He came running into the bathroom screaming and holding his arm, he was shaking badly. I picked him up and asked Riley what happened and she said he rolled off the end of the bed and is arm was funny. When I tried to take a look at his arm it was hanging there, he wouldn't use it or his hand. I rocked him and he quickly fell asleep...this worried me even more because I didn't know if he hit his head. I dialed Jason's cell phone and the Beach Blast phone numbers and no answer...he was coaching what did I expect. I tried to wake Simon, no luck, so I laid him on the bed to take a closer look at his arm and I moved it and he SCREAMED!!!!!!

Now, I was by myself, 2 kids, strange place and no car. I called down to the front desk to ask if they had any medical staff and quickly 3 people were in my hotel room. They too looked at Simon's arm and called 911.....I was so freaked out. As the 3 of us were loading into the ambulance Jason pulled up....a sight to be seen. The medics checked him out and spoke of a head injury and his arm....did I mention it was 9:30 by this time...an hour and a half past bedtime. We were rushed to the hospital...lights, sirens the whole deal. By the time we went through triage and registration Simon was wide awake, asking for snack and using his arm....thank goodness...but the drama.

Did I mention that the hospital the ambulance took us to was right near Jane and Finch....an education for us, one that we hope to never have again. After 5 hours, nurses, doctors and x-rays it was determined that Simon suffered a pulled elbow and there was no head injury. Apparently, it's very common in toddlers. The doctor said with everything that I described it sounds like when I checked him the second time and moved his arm and he screamed I put it back in place. There are no breaks and no fractures.

We arrived back at the hotel at 2:30 in the morning looking for our beds. Just to add a little more stress to our lives while all of this was happening we had a phone call from my mom telling us that my poor grandma had suffered a heart attack, she is now stable and resting comfortably. We will be heading to Welland on Tuesday to see her. Hopefully we don't have anymore drama in our lives for a very long time.

No comments: