Monday, May 11, 2009

Running with Robert

Well, I did it. I have registered for my first 5km run. Race date is July 1st. Jason and kids made sure I was all decked out for running with my Mother's Day gifts. I am following the Couch potato to 5km in 9 weeks program...although I only have seven.... I run with my ipod listening to a man named Robert on a podcast telling me when to run and when to walk. Today was day one and I ran for 60 seconds, walked for 90 seconds over a 20 minute period. It felt really good to be out in the fresh air getting exercise.

Now to the why - heart disease runs in my family. Every single person on my mom's side of the family has died of a heart attack... or a stroke. Most of them have been affected by this at a young age. My Uncle Dave (mom's brother) passed two years ago of a heart attack in his 40's. My Uncle Fred (mom's brother) also had a heart attack in his 40's and survived. Both of my great grandparents passed of heart attacks and my grandma has recently be diagnosed with chronic heart failure. Recently, another member of my family had a mini-stroke...this one really hit home.....BADLY. So, to make a long story...longer, I am going to attempt this running thing. Wish me luck, I will need it.

1 comment:

kateolijnyk said...

ah, excellent work with the running. i'm proud of you. keep up the good work.